Bästa stället att skaffa grodor? and 3 more beginner questions.

Här kan nybörjardendrobatisten fråga och förvänta sig svar anpassade för nybörjare.
OBS! Till att börja med, läs våra råd för nybörjare.
robroy865
Började med grodor år: 2018
Har gillat: 3 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 0
Växter till salu: 0

Bästa stället att skaffa grodor? and 3 more beginner questions.

Inlägg av robroy865 » 23 maj 2018, 16:28

Sorry for writing in English (I understand Swedish but do not speak or write fluently).

I recently built a 760 l vivarium and planted over the weekend. I am now letting the plants grow in a bit and checking that the environment is stable and that there is no problems with the enclosure (humidity stable at 85-93% and temperature up to 26.2 degrees Celsius in the day and down to 24 at night - all helped to be kept in check with fans and a humidifier controlled buy a raspberry pi - data available here: https://thingspeak.com/channels/436974). Note I have been checking this only for a week but the temperature in the room is relatively constant during the year and I expect very little change.

I have 4 question:

1. Is 26 degrees Celsius still OK for D.tinctorius Azureus? Most of the information mention their range of temperature is 22-27 degrees - but is this the range where they are comfortable?

2. When is the best time to acquire frogs? I was planning to let the vivarium settle for 3 months but is this enough and should I do anything else in the meantime to prepare?

3. Where is the best place to buy D.tinctorius Azureus in Sweden (this is the species that I am interested in)?

4. Is there any place to obtain flightless fruit flies? I read that there are cultures of these but have not been able to find any (I have some normal fruit fly cultures that I feed to some ant I keep but there is an obvious problem with them being able to fly :o ).

Any information would be appreciated (English or Swedish - sorry again for writing English on a Swedish forum).

---
Here is an image of the vivarium I built just before I added the substrate and planted the plants. I am mostly happy with how it turned out - but any comments on how to make it better for frogs would be appreciated:

Bild

Har inga grodor just nu!

Användarvisningsbild
FrankD
Styrelse
Styrelse
Började med grodor år: 2007
Har gillat: 176 gånger
Blivit gillad: 574 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 9
Kontakt:

Re: Bästa stället att skaffa grodor? and 3 more beginner questions.

Inlägg av FrankD » 23 maj 2018, 17:03

Hi and welcome!

Some quick answers:

1. Yes, but 27 should only be reached as a peak temperature. During the night, it is not a problem at all if it goes down to 20 degrees.
2. 3 months is definitely enough. For beginners, I'd say everything above 1 month is OK, when you have gathered some experience, 1 minute is enough. ;)
3. Unless you can simply visit someone who has young Azureus my suggestion would be the frog day in autumn in Stockholm. If you start looking now, someone should with high probability be able to reserve some for you.
4. Someone could give you some flies, or you can get them on the frog day as well. (Getting them a bit earlier to start your cultures would not be a bad idea, though. If you don't have anybody near you, someone could just mail you a small package.)

tropfrog
SDS-medlem
SDS-medlem
Började med grodor år: 1997
Har gillat: 78 gånger
Blivit gillad: 138 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 1

Inlägg av tropfrog » 23 maj 2018, 22:07

You can find fruit flies at any terrarium fair in Sweden. There are some 10+ fairs around Sweden every year. If you live in a bigger city you May Likelly find a shop that have or can order for you. Now in summer you can also purshase online. Herpers choice is just one example. Or you can ask for someone with fogs close to you to get some.

To make the terrarium better for frogs, add a lot more plants and Hilding placed like Woods, corc bark etc. Add black background tape or even better, add 3 d background inside.

Br
Magnus

robroy865
Började med grodor år: 2018
Har gillat: 3 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 0

Inlägg av robroy865 » 24 maj 2018, 00:57

tropfrog skrev:
23 maj 2018, 22:07
You can find fruit flies at any terrarium fair in Sweden. There are some 10+ fairs around Sweden every year. If you live in a bigger city you May Likelly find a shop that have or can order for you. Now in summer you can also purshase online. Herpers choice is just one example. Or you can ask for someone with fogs close to you to get some.

To make the terrarium better for frogs, add a lot more plants and Hilding placed like Woods, corc bark etc. Add black background tape or even better, add 3 d background inside.

Br
Magnus
I just finished planting the first set of plants and I added several pieces of wood and bark. I hope to have a bit of a forest of plants before I get any animals (but already it is much more lush than in the picture). But I will ensure that I have hiding places as you suggested.

Thanks for the tip on the flies.

Har inga grodor just nu!

Användarvisningsbild
TobiasB
Började med grodor år: 2013
Har gillat: 685 gånger
Blivit gillad: 379 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 6
Växter till salu: 17

Inlägg av TobiasB » 28 maj 2018, 13:29

FrankD skrev:
23 maj 2018, 17:03

3. Unless you can simply visit someone who has young Azureus my suggestion would be the frog day in autumn in Stockholm. If you start looking now, someone should with high probability be able to reserve some for you.
Very welcome to the forum! You will find alot of information here, but mostly in Swedish then :)

Just wanted to correct Frank a little here, the Frog day this autumn is in Jönköping the 27/10. Hope we will see you there :)

Användarvisningsbild
FrankD
Styrelse
Styrelse
Började med grodor år: 2007
Har gillat: 176 gånger
Blivit gillad: 574 gånger
Grodor Arter/varianter: 9
Kontakt:

Inlägg av FrankD » 28 maj 2018, 14:26

TobiasP skrev:
28 maj 2018, 13:29
Just wanted to correct Frank a little here, the Frog day this autumn is in Jönköping the 27/10.
Oops, I still had the recent frog day on my mind. Good to have an observant chairman. ;)

Skriv svar

Återgå till "Nybörjarhörnan"